Thursday, July 21, 2016

C - Homonyms, Not Homonids at an Aquarium

A relatively nicely composed photo, taken on the way to class.
Dear Reader,


Today I went to an aquarium with Alice and Ryan and somehow managed to not see them inside the entire time. Well, it wasn't just me, Alice, and Ryan -- it was me, Alice, Ryan and a whole other slew of people who paid 15$ to the RA's to go to Jazzin' at the Shedd. Shedd Aquarium, that is. Not a barnyard shed(d). This one is underwater, and nine thousand times as fascinating.




To be fair, it's hard to compete with aquariums from California, where Monterey has a four story display of aquatic creatures. The Shedd was one story, with a sort of underground level, but still fun to explore. Like all places, it's more about the people you go with who make it interesting, rather than the physical space itself.




I spend the vast majority of time in the aquarium (which also has a monkey, for some reason) with Kevin. No, not the Kevin in previous blogs. A different Kevin. Hm, how to differentiate the two? I'll decide soon. Any suggestions? This Kevin is Korean, and the other (just remember: tall) Kevin is Chinese.


We spent hours (about three) looking at beluga whales, dolphins, anemone, jellyfish, and otters, and hear jazz music among the watery nodes of fish every so often. There are exhibits where you can touch starfish and sturgeon, and the water is a freezing cold 58 degress Fahrenheight. The animals could live in Alaska if they wanted,  We had to keep our sleeves up and wash ourselves, but I didn't mind. It was fun playing with the sturgeons, as they felt really smooth and slimy. They were also really friendly and open to humans.


After checking outside and seeing the gorgeous view of the city skyline (as well as the dolphins), we head back inside to listen to jazz and find more people to walk around with. We stop by the gift shop, where I find a shirt that parodies the Beatles' Abbey Road, but is with penguins. :3

We leave the aquarium then, and the group splits. Most go to eat, some go back home. Me and a couple others go to Five Guys (the burger place), where I order a burger and peanut butter milkshake.
We're all excused for curfew, so it's past 11 when we get back. Tom, Emma, and I sing the O-U-S song for a good ten minutes on the way home. It's obvious, O-B-V-I-O-U-S, obvious!

I spend an hour talking to Doris about my ventures (she didn't go) while we exchange daily experiences.

A good day. I can't wait for my story to be read.

Yours,
eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment